Red Dirt Rocker

Red Dirt Rocker
Y/A novel by Jody French--Inspired by the adventures of musician- Forrest French

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Eddie Jett and I made a trip to town yesterday, and at our last busy stop at Drug Warehouse I bought him a big bag of Puffy Cheetos.  I buckled him in the back car seat, loaded my sacks in the back hatch, gave him one Cheeto for the road and proceeded to head home.  I had the bag of Cheetos in the front seat with me and I glanced back to see he had already eaten the cheesy puff and was ready for another one.  I grabbed a puff out of the bag as I concentrated on the road, and said, "say pleeease".  I sang out, "say pleeease", two more times waiting for a verbal response, but there was just silence. I turned to look back at him.  He was covered in bright orange cheddar powder, shaking his head back and forth in his car seat, and was frantically rubbing his tiny fist up and down vertically over his size 24 month, cute as a button, red  Elmo sweatshirt over and over...this is sign language for PLEASE.  Sometimes I forget that he is a little guy of very few words, and phrases and is learning to  sign to us most all of his needs and wants.  I quickly surrendered the Cheeto!  I wanted to give him the entire bag all at once.  I felt like such a heel <3  It was a lesson in slow down, shut up and listen for sure.

Take a minute to truly listen to someone you love today~

No comments:

Post a Comment