Red Dirt Rocker

Red Dirt Rocker
Y/A novel by Jody French--Inspired by the adventures of musician- Forrest French

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Earthquakes in Oklahoma...What?

Back in 2009 Forrest was still touring with his band.  Monty and I both flew out with him for his  video shoot in L.A., and were placed on separate flights back to Oklahoma.  While sitting in the Salt Lake City, Utah airport on a layover, I looked up at the television monitors to see CNN doing a live update on an earthquake that had just stuck the Los Angeles area!  It totally freaked me out, and like any mom I frantically dug my cell phone out to make sure Forrest and Monty were ok.  They were just fine.  Forrest thought it was the coolest thing ever, and Monty felt it bounce his plane on the tarmac as they were waiting to taxi out.  Monty was freaking out as well.  I don't think either one of us wanted to leave out baby boy out there with the earth rumbling under his feet!

In Oklahoma we are used to tornadoes.  When the weather gets unpredictable and the warnings are sounded we head for my sister Shannon's fraidy hole, aka underground storm cellar.  We are not, however, accustomed to earthquakes. For the past two nights now, we have experienced earthquakes in Coweta, Oklahoma!  I'm talking 5.6 on the richter scale, earthquakes.  Both nights, our bed has shook and our window panes have rattled.  The one last night reverberated for at least half a minute, which seemed like an eternity. My entire family was still hanging out at our house, and after the rumbling we filtered out onto the sidewalk and yelled back and forth to the neighbors about the crazy act of nature.  Our Facebook pages lit up with reports of the quake.  My favorite was one of Forrest's buds who posted a pic of a lawn chair that had tipped over.  The caption above it read:  "Oklahoma earthquake of 2011...I will never forget it!"  

Oklahoma earthquakes...really?  Makes me thankful for my one level ranch style home here on the range.  

No comments:

Post a Comment